Thursday, February 23, 2012

Is it Just Me? Measuring WPI

Every once in a while the WPI gauge conversation comes up.  If you're a spinner, you probably know what I mean.  Someone asks about the necessity of it, almost everyone says no and tells them what they use instead.  Personally, I use a ruler.

One thing that seems consistent is that people wrap the yarn to measure WPI--in which case, I'd think something with a larger circumference/perimeter that a lot of the alternatives to the WPI gauge would actually be a better choice.

I don't wrap.  I shove my ruler into the hank and choose  a variety of threads to measure with because I want something closer to an "average" WPI rather than the WPI of just one section, which is what you get when you wrap around a ruler or dowel or whatever it is you're wrapping it around.  In fact, I'd go as far as to say a niddy noddy (or your skeining tool of choice) seems like it would make a better WPI gauge than a WPI gauge.  I suppose if I were more anal about my spinning and consistency, wrapping would be a more attractive option, but I'm fine with my natural variation, so there will be a ±1 weight variation from what my intended yarn weight is at some point in the yards upon yards I'm spinning, especially since I stretch my projects out timewise.

So there you have it.  I apparently think the best time to measure WPI is during the skeining process.  But maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment